Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Prisoners - MMC (September 14, 2015)


Here's another Monday's Minute Challenge story. You can find out more about the challenge at Christ Is Write

I tied for third place last week, and won third place the week before that:)

I used the picture prompt this week, and it's a continuation of the week before last's story. It's 300 words.






Greg dug his palms into his eyes, and muttered to himself. Things like, "I should have known this was going to happen," and, "I can't believe what we just did." Completely useless things. Things that didn't make up for what he'd done.

It was bad enough that they had already been gone months without their daughter knowing where they were. But now.... Now they would never get back. She would never know that they really were still alive, and.... That thought brought another to mind. They would never know if she was still alive. 

"Greg. Greg," Dina begged. "For the love of my own sanity, please, just stop. You can't make this any better. You're only making it worse." She heard a sharp intake of breath.

"Dina. Oh, I'm sorry. I can't do anything right, I can't-"

"Shh."

"Dina, please understand that I tried to do what I thought was best-"

"Shhhh."

There was a certain tone in her voice that made him realize something else was going on. He lifted his hands from his eyes and moved to the bars, straining to see around the corner to her cell. Suddenly, her hand appeared, reaching through her bars, something in her grasp. She held it out to him as best she could.

"Greg," she said, as if to get his attention.

But as she said it, he took the crumpled paper that she had been holding.

"Don't open it," she said, and her warning came in time. "Just look."

It was a dollar bill. A very badly folded dollar bill. He could not see its relevance at first. Then he saw the message contained there.

The kids are alright.

"Where-"

"I found it- in my pocket. Remember the guard who brought us down here? I think she slipped it inside."


auf wiedersehen, darling

-Maddie

4 comments:

  1. Ooh...good job!!! I really liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Natalie:D I love your blog's new look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you did it this week, it's pretty good. Seems like everyone used this prompt. Which means it was a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Mia! I really liked yours for this week, too.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, I'm listening (but before you ask, no, you cannot have my case of Wonka Bars).