Monday, September 7, 2015

War - MMC (August 31, 2015)

Here's my Monday's Minutes entry for this week. I used the items prompt (Lily, sword, key), and based it off of the sentence prompt ("The fog lifted for a moment, just long enough to see"). It's 160 words long short:) In every way, this is very different from what I usually write. 

The Lily, the Lily 
On his silver chest
Bled with strength unwanted.
Beautiful, beautiful was the color,
But a life it stunted:
His own.

The sword, the sword,
In his limp grasp
Glistened with the same hue;
He had, he had slain many
Others, and had
Stained them likewise, too,
During war.

And the key, the key
Around his neck
Consoled its flower friend.
Hush, hush, it said,
He has kept his promise to her
Until the very end.
Be glad.

And the fog, the fog,
It lifted, 
Just long enough
To see, to see how 
These young lives had
Met an end so rough:
By men.

Her heart, her heart
Would break for those
Who shared in his same fate.
And she, she would praise
Those fallen who 
Would not live to a longer date:
Their sacrifice.

They lay, they lay
There: Lily,
Key, and steel,
And aided, aided the 
Fallen to obtain
A life more real
Than this.


auf wiedersehen, darling

- Maddie

6 comments:

  1. It was enjoyable to read, Maddie. Do you write poetry in general? (I'm pretty sure I've asked that before, so sorry if I have.)
    I have been trying to write for the MMC but it's been difficult.
    Good job on yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mia! Well, I started getting interested in poetry after I read some of my mom's poems that she wrote in high school. I started trying it out on the day we left KC. So, I usually don't write in this style, but I do hope that I can grow better in it and learn more.
    Yeah, MMC is difficult at first. I think flash fiction is something that takes a while to get used to, especially when we're used to writing 10k+ word "short stories" :) But I love it when you do join! Your stories have been good, too <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was beautiful! I love reading it! <3

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, I'm listening (but before you ask, no, you cannot have my case of Wonka Bars).