Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Tricked - MMC (February 22, 2016)












"You seem tense this evenin', sir. Beg your pardon for sayin' so." Abigail curtsied, and was careful not to let her tray overturn.

"Oh, I don't mind. I know it rather well myself." The old man sighed, rubbing his neck. He took the wine that she offered. “I’ve not seen you before.”

"My name's Abigail Brightly, sir. New around here."

The gentleman set his empty glass back on her tray, looking thoughtful. "I... have a niece named Abigail Brenton. Strange, isn't it? You've the same initials. Though... who can say how long since I’ve seen her? She asked to come a few months back, so as to attend the party this evening. But I...." His brow furrowed. Giving a nervous chuckle, he shook his head. "Go along, now, and attend to the guests."

She had not been elsewhere very long before a cry went up and a crowd began to gather. "Lord Brenton is ill!"

A panic went up in the girl's heart. "How is he? What is wrong?" Her servant's speech was gone.

"Poison," a man told her, his face red with shock and anger. His eyes shifted to the tray of empty wine glasses in the servant's hands. In the next instant, he pulled her to the dying patient.

Though his vision was darkening, Lord Brenton testified at once on seeing the servant girl's face, "Yes. She… my... wine..."

Abigail's eyes grew large as she cried, "Uncle! I’m Abigail, your niece, Abigail. I just wanted to see you! I'm so sorry, I don't know how..."

Her tray was wrenched away to be examined. Traces of arsenic were found in the lord's cup.

Though she tried to explain, no one would listen. Whoever poisoned him had just gotten rid of two nobles in the family.







Wow, that took forever to cut down! It's 296 words, and I used the picture prompt. I realize now that a better title would have been "Framed," but I already made the picture, so... yeah. "Tricked" it will stay.

Also, I won 2nd place last week! :D

Head over to Christ Is Write to join in the fun!






Oh, yeah. Also, guys, I'm going to be posting every Tuesday now. Ideally, it will be a Monday's Minute entry one week, and then a post that I'll... make up? the next week. Sound good? Okay, great. Have a great week, everyone!


auf wiedersehen, darling

Maddie


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead, I'm listening (but before you ask, no, you cannot have my case of Wonka Bars).