Tuesday, March 22, 2016

5 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Put Yourself Down






I've been noticing a lot lately (I feel like I should have just named this blog that - What Maddie Noticed and/or Has Been Thinking About; Updated Bi-weekly) that people I care about have not been giving themselves enough credit for their talents or for their virtues. In fact, they sometimes say that they're really bad at something when I see that they are actually really good at it. And I just have one question:

Why?

I know we're supposed to be humble, but in my opinion, there is a certain distinction between what is humility and what is taking it too far. God doesn't want us to put ourselves down. Of course, we shouldn't go around bragging and always talking and acting in a way that says, "Look at how great I am at this!", either. On the other hand, I don't believe that we should always bring up the subject of how bad we are at something, or how everyone else is better than we are at it.

Here's why.


1) It makes your friends sad that you never accept what they say.They're trying to be nice and tell you what they love about you, and you are constantly shooting their compliments down with your own reasons of why they shouldn't feel that way. It's not nice to your friends or to yourself.

2) It makes you look like you want people to counter your statement.When you say, "I know I'm a really selfish person," even though people are always telling you that they think you have a gift for being unselfish, it makes the person you are talking to think, "Gosh, here he/she goes again. I've already told him/her that I've seen him/her be a very unselfish person, and that he's/she's a great example of it to me, so what more can I say? On the other hand, if I don't say anything, he'll/she'll think that I agree with him/her, and that's not true..." It makes the other person uncomfortable. It makes them struggle.

“Mary Jane she set at the head of the table, with Susan alongside of her, and said how bad the biscuits was, and how mean the preserves was, and how ornery and tough the fried chickens was—and all that kind of rot, the way women always do for to force out compliments; and the people all knowed everything was tiptop, and said so—said 'How do you get biscuits to brown so nice?' and 'Where, for the land's sake, did you get these amaz'n pickles?' and all that kind of humbug talky-talk, just the way people always does at a supper, you know.” - Huckleberry Finn

3) It's not going to make you feel more humble. If you're doing it because you're proud, and you want to deny compliments because you think it'll make you feel more humble, you need to stop and go about it a different way. I remember a homily from a priest a very long time ago about what true humility is. He said that instead of saying, "Not me, not me, not me," when people give you praise or pay you a compliment, you should simply say, "Thank you," and nothing more. If you are constantly arguing that what they are telling you isn't true, they are going to keep repeating themselves over and over. And you are going to keep hearing it, and it will actually boost your pride instead of lessening it. Has anyone ever paid you a compliment only to accept when you say it's not true because X Y & Z?

"You have a beautiful singing voice."

"Oh, thanks, but I think it's pretty terrible."

"Really? Okay, then."

Has that conversation ever occurred? I can't imagine it has.

Or instead, you can direct the Praise to God. I can't find the exact quote, and I can't even be sure if St Francis De Sales is the particular saint who said it, but I'm pretty sure it was he who said that if you WANT people to praise you, and want to STOP feeling that way because you know it's not right, you should direct the praise to God every time you receive praise, and the actual humility will eventually rub off on you. For instance, you play the piano really well at church one morning and you really want people to come and compliment you on your talent. When they do come to tell you how great you were, even though you wanted the praise, you can say something like, "God gave me the talent." Or, "Thank you. I'm very thankful that God has given me this gift." After practice of this, it will get easier and easier to see that everything you do comes from God and you will want to give him the praise.

4) It gives you a lower image of yourself. Which is not to say that that is all the way bad. A lot of us are too prideful and need to learn to see that we're not as great of a person as we think we are. But we don't want so low of an idea of ourselves where we think that we don't have anything to offer to the world. If we don't love ourselves or appreciate us, how are we going to love and appreciate others?


5) It makes you less likely to share your gift with others. If you keep telling yourself you don't have a certain talent, there's not as great of a chance that you are going to exercise it, and therefore help or inspire others with it. It's kind of like if you have money that God has blessed you with, and you could use it to bless other people. But you've donated to certain causes before and haven't seen a physical impact that your money has made. So you say, "The money coming from me must not be worth very much. It's not making a difference, so why embarrass myself by donating when I'm sure the people I'm giving to roll their eyes when they see that the money is  coming from me? I don't know what else to do with it, but I'm not gonna take a risk by looking foolish." Isn't that ridiculous? Whether you actually see the impact or not, you should know that your money isn't going to waste because it can't be worth less than other people's. The same applies to your talents/gifts.

So there you have it: 5 reasons why it isn't okay to put yourself down. 



Do you agree with me? Does this make sense, or am I just PUTTING YOU DOWN by telling you NOT to put yourself down, in which case, you're going to feel 2 times as put down as you would have before??? Did this post come across as harsh? If it did, then Oh my friends, my friends forgive me! (Yeah, I did just quote Marius Pontmercy. I've been listening to Les Mis, guys).

If you agree and don't feel offended by this post, would you add any more to the list? How often do you find you putting yourself down? Can you name why you do this to yourself? Let us discuss these and related things (or unrelated. It's all cool) in the comments! (And if you need help finding said comments, they're at the bottom of this post). 








-Maddie

8 comments:

  1. Another great post, Maddie. I really enjoy reading what you've been thinking about. You're such a beautiful soul! Humility is something I struggle with, something the priest in the confessional is always hearing about. There's a quote (attributed to C. S. Lewis) I have to remind myself of often and it's: "Humility isn't thinking less of yourself. It's thinking of yourself less."
    I suppose there's a balance between receiving compliments graciously while also being humble and giving God the glory. Everytime I compliment someone's skill and they try to downplay it (not really fishing for compliments, but just an unsurety or embarrassment or awkwardness) I want to grab them by the shoulders and say, "No. Stop it. You're a bundle of mad skills designed for a great part in the symphony of humanity. Go, embrace your destiny."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emma. It means a lot to me when you take the time to read what I have to say and to comment on it. I think humility is something that has to be learned by everyone. It's also something that I struggle with. But you know, it takes courage and humility to confess your pride. I know that God sees that and is more touched by your perseverance in picking yourself up when He works through the priest in the confessional. He loves you coming back to Him more than He dislikes what you have to confess. And I love that quote by C.S. Lewis! I think he was a very holy and wise man. I feel that way, too, when people don't accept my compliments, and I love the way you worded it! <3 You have a way of taking words and forming them into something that sounds much more beautiful and thought-provoking than some others would say them. Keep using this, and, "Go, embrace your destiny." ;)
      - Maddie

      Delete
  2. I think you have some really great points. I definitely think there's a difference between being humble, and just feeling bad about oneself. I know I have a hard time finding a balance between the two. And honestly I don't have an answer to how to get better! I guess it's just something I'm working on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely. Finding balance is really hard for me (with humility, and with, like, everything I do). For me, it mostly comes down to catching yourself in the moments where you find you're being too hard on yourself, and remembering that you were meant for something important and that you have purpose. But I still struggle with this, too. It's funny how you can see a way to help yourself, but you still don't always take your own advice! Oh, we humans:) Thanks for reading and for your comment, Abi!
      - Maddie

      Delete
  3. Yeah it is really selfish to always be putting yourself down. It really does make the person you're talking to sad and confuses and frustrated.
    And you're completely right, it actually augments pride instead of humility.
    Great points. And great job, Maddie.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mia! Thanks for reading and for commenting:)
      -Maddie

      Delete
  4. This is so true, I think as humans we are sometimes inclined to brush off compliments and kind comments. However, sometimes it is important to appreciate these and not put ourselves down all the time, as this can lead to a negative outlook on life.
    Great post! <3

    Lauren | Pretty Things & Polka Dots

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it can lead to a negative outlook on life. Finding the balance between humility and self-appreciation is hard, but so worth it:) Thank you so much for reading and for taking the time to comment, Lauren!
      -Maddie

      Delete

Go ahead, I'm listening (but before you ask, no, you cannot have my case of Wonka Bars).