Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Burnt - MMC (May, 16, 2016)


(Ignore the fact that he's covering her eyes)


"Yes. Yes, I know." He looked down at the little girl whose head did not even reach his middle.

She had one hand wrapped in his, and had one finger from the other pointed rigidly at the sight in front of them. Slowly, she tilted her head back and stared up at him. Her deep blue eyes did not hold tears, as he had expected. Instead, there was hurt contained in them. A bruised look, as if he had delivered her a blow after telling her that he had a present to give her. Which is almost what had happened. But he hadn't meant it.

"I- I'm sorry. I thought...." A heavy breath escaped his nostrils. He took his gaze off of the little girl and swept it across the piles of bricks and glass that lay in the charred grass at the bottom of the hill. Crouching so as to fully look her in the eye, he said, "I didn't know. The rumors were true." When he inhaled sharply, the ashes that mixed and carried on the air almost choked him. He moved his hand over his mouth and felt the bristly stubble on his chin; a reminder that life had not been normal for over a week since he'd met Angelica.

The little girl reached for that hand, and pulled it away from his face, still keeping her grip tight on his other hand. Placing first the right, then the left around her shoulders, she stepped in closer and put her own around his waist.

James returned the hug when he realized what she wanted. She was the first to pull away, and he placed his hands on her shoulders.

"You'll have to stay with me, now. All right? Come, Angelica. We'd better start on the way back home."

She raised her arms and he understood the cue. Scooping her up, he placed her on his aching shoulders and turned the both of them away from the burnt ruins of the city.

Guys, I'm back! (I think). Oh, and look: I posted on Tuesday this time. :D I have posts planned for next week and maybe the week after, so you'll hear from me at least until then. Things are a little crazy because of moving and finding a new job, and stuff (more on that later), so I am not making any promises, but I do really hope to be back on my normal posting schedule very soon. Anyway, this entry is 334 words, and I used the sentence and items prompts. Hope you enjoyed. :)




- Maddie

4 comments:

  1. This was SO good Maddie, I loved it! Ooo, you're both moving and finding a new job (and other stuff) right now? Sounds hectic, I'll be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you very much, Savannah! Yes, it is pretty hectic, especially because I don't know if I'm going to keep staying with my family or live somewhere else. Prayers are very appreciated; thanks so much!

      -Maddie

      Delete
  2. Wonderful, as always. But I'm kinda disappointed in the European ending. We're left with more questions than answers. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salamat kaayo:) Haha, sometimes I think because I know what's going on, everyone else does... I probably need to stop being so vague.

      - Maddie

      Delete

Go ahead, I'm listening (but before you ask, no, you cannot have my case of Wonka Bars).