Sunday, November 8, 2015

NaNoWriMo Week One: Snippets and Such




Today ends the first week of NaNo and begins the new one. I have some friends who are doing a phenomenal job on their word count, but I...Well, I'm a little behind. Meaning, I have +7,000 words to catch up to. But that's okay. *goes and cries in a corner* *returns feeling better* I wasn't expecting to win, in the first place. I just hope that I do better than my other NaNo years. I am so far, so that's good.

And now, for some snippets! Tabitha surprised me. I wasn't expecting her to be a big part of the story, but she is turning out to be a lot more so than I expected. Also, she may be my favorite character I've ever written. Maybe, I'm not sure. But take a look for yourself:)


It was wondrous and full of magic - the atmosphere of that day. The sky was blue-grey, the wind tossed about the tops of the trees, and there was something in the air that sang, "Something is going to happen." She had always been a serious child, but the wind that swept her hair that day and the sparrows that swooped so low to the ground gave her a feeling of excitement. It was unusual, for she was not a little girl who was very easily impressed. But so was every thing on this particular day.

***

Alice was very thankful that the subject had come up, for she was at a loss as to what this person wished to be called. "I am Alice Young. And, please, what would you like me to call you?"

"Oh," the girl said as she patted her mouth with a napkin. "I thought you would have known what. Everyone knows my name around here. But that is not the point. You may call me Hatter." Hatter looked down at her cup and seemed to wish to contrive a new subject before Alice inquired the next question that she did.

"That is your name - Hatter? But why such a funny name like that?"

"It's not a name," the girl who wasn't named Hatter sighed. "It is merely what everyone calls me, though they know my name. I'm not much of anyone's friend around here, I suppose. But you - if you do want to be a friend of mine - I will tell you my name." She leaned in toward Alice, an anxious look in her eyes.

***

“Stop. Stop, Tabitha, stop,” commanded Alice, the first time she’d done so to her friend. “I think maybe he’s speaking of my brother.”

“Felix, or what was his name?”

“Alexander,” Alice corrected. “And that’s not the point. I believe the...the Hare over there is talking about him. He said that someone, a child, was away from home and very young. Don’t you think, too, that it must be Alexander?”

“But Alice, my dear, how could he? He came from behind us and your brother went ahead.” The girl twirled her cane and continued in the same direction. “Really, Alice, I don’t see how-”


But the mentioned had turned back on her own and had made her way to the March Hare’s side. “How extremely rude,” the girl said aloud to herself. “I try to help her as a friend, and she goes and listens to someone she’s never even properly met. And he’s not even human, besides.” She waited, nonetheless, until the rude little child looked up to her from the conversation with the Hare, excitement shining in her eyes. At that, the hatter scoffed and rolled her eyes as adults sometimes do when their child does something that they think is adorable, but they don’t wish to show that they think so.

***

And now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to get back to attempting to catch up on my word count.

Hope you enjoyed the snippets, and that your NaNo (and/or November) is going well!:)


auf wiedersehen, darling

-Maddie

4 comments:

  1. Oh you're doing an Alice in Wonderland retelling? For some reason I didn't realize that. *facepalm*
    It sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on week one, Maddie. Awesome snippets, I'm so excited about Like a Writing Desk. And glad you found time to post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, yay! Thanks, Mia! That really made my day:)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, I'm listening (but before you ask, no, you cannot have my case of Wonka Bars).