Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Orders - MMC (October 12, 2015)

Here's another Monday's Minute Challenge (a contest hosted by Tessa Emily Hall) entry. It's 299 words, and I used the items prompt (arrow, leaf, wolf). As promised, it's part of the story I've been writing pieces of (this part comes after the part entitled Prisoners). Hope you like it:)


I kicked leaves off the ground and grumbled as I made my way deeper into the woods. "Only a few days adjusting to the great outdoors, and this is what she shoves on me. I've never even caught a fish in my life...and she expects me to bring back a deer!" I snatched a floating leaf, and began twirling it in my fingers as I walked. "What's going through her head, anyway? 'Janice's daddy was a stuck up, rich governor, and always sheltered his daughter from any kind of work. If I send her out, the deer will probably catch her'? Well, Lana's got another thing coming if she thinks I'm going to blindly follow her every order. I have half a mind to catch a wolf, just to show her-"

"Blathering gets you nowhere, I'm sure you realize."

My words stuck in my throat. I scanned the area, but saw no one. I grappled with the bow strapped to my back, and fumbled for an arrow. Clumsily, I aimed at the bushes in front of me. "Who-who's out there? I'm armed!"

"Only the wolf you wanted to bring along with you," said a voice that pretended to be friendly. 

Something cut through the air and landed at my back. I whirled around. Standing there was someone I'd never thought of when I'd heard his voice. "You." I felt relieved. "How-"

"Just get me to the camp, and I promise I'll make everything a lot more miserable for Lana and the others."

I knew I could trust him with that. The question "What are they to him?" did reach my mind, but I brushed it aside. I led him to the camp, where he fulfilled his promise.

But he never said things wouldn't be miserable for me, too.


auf wiedersehen, darling

-Maddie

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, I wanna read more! Love it!

    I tagged you for The Song Tag! Check it out if you want! :)
    http://anotherenchantedland.blogspot.com/2015/10/qotw-song-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!
    Oooh, sounds really fun! I'll work on it and hopefully post it soon:)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, I'm listening (but before you ask, no, you cannot have my case of Wonka Bars).