Thursday, October 8, 2015

Messages - MMC (September 28, 2015)



We should talk.

There. There it was. The message she'd waited so long to hear. Except he didn't speak it. He'd written it. Somewhere she'd be sure to see. We should talk. It was there on her windshield, drawn in the snow that had settled lightly across her truck.

We should talk.

I know.

Don't you want to?

Well, I do, but...

But you're afraid it might cause suspicion. 

Yes. I'm sorry, I can't help it. Wouldn't you feel the same?

I do.

Then why...

Missing you is worse.

She picked up the phone and called. The conversation she'd imagined had convinced her. If he was afraid, then they'd both be afraid together.

But there was no one there to answer. She tried three times, and then set down the receiver, devastated. He had to have left that message. Or was it someone else? Putting on her coat, she flew down the apartment steps to see.

It had to be him. She couldn't imagine anyone else coming so early to write that particular sentence. But she glanced something on the snow dusted windshield that she couldn't see from the apartment window. She scooped it up, and ignored the icy feeling it gave her fingers. It was a newspaper clipping. His picture was there; and so were some words she didn't want to see.

Greg Larson. 38 years old. Suspected of obtaining private government information. If seen, please contact...

She slumped against the truck, and covered her face with her hands. It had happened again. And they hadn't even had the chance to first say hello.



I used the picture prompt, and it's 264 words. It's also sort of the prologue to the story I've been continuing for two weeks. You can find out about Monday's Minute Challenge here. 

Also, I won first place last week! :D


auf wiedersehen, darling

-Maddie

6 comments:

  1. That was really, really good!! I loved reading it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I love this! I want to read more! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, I'm glad! I will hopefully have more next week:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a little late at this but I really liked this and i wasn't surprised that it got first. I hope you do more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Mia! That makes me happy:) I hope I can continue it, too. I really loved your prompt for this week!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, I'm listening (but before you ask, no, you cannot have my case of Wonka Bars).