Sunday, August 23, 2015

Listening - MMC (August 17, 2015)

My badge from last week's challenge.


Here's another Monday's Minute entry for the challenge on Tessa Hall's blog, Christ Is Write. I used the picture prompt, and it's 298 words.



"Keep your voice down." Lana turned with a disgusted air and began making her way across the crisp Autumn leaves, hardly making a sound. She was at home here under the shelter of the trees. She was the one who had a better chance of surviving out here than I did... I wouldn't have had a chance if she hadn't found me.

I was used to being the one who had it all- the right friends, the fashionable clothes, the highest grades. Why did I know absolutely nothing about what was most important about living? I resented her. And I could not allow her to have any more power over me. "What's that? Couldn't hear you." I fairly shouted. "Could you speak a little lou-" All at once, I was on my back, a pair of grey eyes looming above my own. I would have shut up regardless of the hand that was clamped over my mouth and chin- the shock of anyone tackling me would have been enough.

She only stared for a minute. Then the words came, quiet and hard. "You think you know it all, Janice. You think you're above rules and reason just because your daddy's face could be seen everywhere? But let me tell you that if you want to have any hope of surviving out here in the big bad forest, you're going to have to do as you're told. Doesn't matter who you think has the better background or the beautiful clothes. Out here, we look out for each other, whether we think the others deserve it or not. I'm bringing you back with me, after all."

She released her hold. But all the way to the camp, I made no other sound save the crunching of leaves under my feet.



auf wiedersehen, darling

- Maddie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead, I'm listening (but before you ask, no, you cannot have my case of Wonka Bars).